Friday, October 27, 2006

The Pipettes (support: Monster Bobby)




The Pipettes (support: Monster Bobby). KB, Malmö 26/10/06

The Pipettes is an English vocal group consisting of three young women. They have come to bring the Phil Spector sound into the new century. They sing short, brilliant pop songs with great melodies and lots of harmony vocals. I hadn’t listened very much to them before this concert but as I had heard rumour about them being a good live act I decided to go to this concert.

The support act was Monster Bobby, who actually is part of the band behind The Pipettes. The most funny thing about him was that he looked like the Swedish prince Carl Philip (see picture above). He was alone on the stage with guitar and some pre-recorded sounds. His short songs were relatively similar and easy-to-forget. But as I wasn’t too concentrated I don’t make a rating.

The Pipettes sang most (or was it all?) of the songs from their only album so far. It was a show that made me happy. Even though it sounded very much like the record, it was great to see these girls in action, dancing and laughing. And although the sound is quite similar to the girl groups of “real 60’s” (Ronettes, Shangri-La’s etc.), there is still some modern touch which make this more than just fun. It isn't music that changes the world, but it makes you smile and feel good. For the girls, I think the dark-haired girl, Rose, was the cutest. My friend Michael, however, preferred Gwenno:-). Rating: ++++

No comments: